Sunday, January 17, 2016

Incoming Books: January 15

I needed to buy a few things -- primarily, a possible new commuting bag -- with the ability to return them easily, so I placed an order from that hegemonic South American river at the beginning of this week. And of course I had to throw in a couple of books, which I hadn't found in the last couple of stores I was in. [1]

First up is the finale of Lemony Snicket's current four-book series for middle-grade readers, "Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights?" Snicket is a very sneaky writer with unexpected depths, perhaps even more so under that name than when he's writing as Daniel Handler (his actual, person-living-in-the-real-world name). I expect to read this immediately -- it's short and Snicket is that good. If you're interested in what I wrote about the earlier books, here's one, two, and three.

And the other one was the newish collection of Kate Beaton's random comics, Step Aside, Pops. And I really hope you know who Kate Beaton is by now.


[1] Whether if was reasonable to expect these two books to be available in those stores, or the exact nature of those stores, I'll remain silent about.

No comments:

Post a Comment