Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Job Hunting Again

Sadly, my seven great years at the house of Wiley are coming to an end this month -- not by my choice.

But it's a turbulent market out there for books and information products, with too many disruptions over the last few years than I could list. (Wiley has three divisions, and there's an existential threat to the business model of each one of them right now -- interesting times.) So I'm not happy, but I'm also not surprised. I have only good feelings for this place: it's still a great place to work, producing a lot of great things that materially make the world better, and I'd stay much longer if I could.

Since I can't, though, I need to find a new place to work. My hope is that this won't be as hard as last time, since the economy is booming (unlike 2007, when I was out of work right before the crash) and I now have seven years of really diverse marketing experience, including time spent on a wide range of categories (accounting, finance, architecture, public health -- to add to SF/Fantasy/comics, hunting & fishing, and general fiction from the earlier days) and pretty much every media or marketing vehicle known to man. But hopes only go so far, so I'm now knee-deep in plans and schemes and opportunities.

All that is to say that content may become scarce here, particularly once February gets under way and I don't have an office to go to everyday. Or, alternatively, I may throw myself into writing things here to keep myself busy while the mills of job-searching grind on the background. We'll have to see which one it is.

And, for you folks out there: if you know of anybody looking for an experienced Marketer --  either in publishing or out of it -- I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment