Wednesday, September 21, 2011

2011 Heinlein Award Goes To...Connie Willis?

First, you must remember that the Robert A. Heinlein Award is specifically awarded to -- and I quote -- "outstanding published works in science fiction and technical writings that inspire the human exploration of space."

And then you get to react when I tell you that this year's winner -- as chosen by a mysterious cabal of SF writers led by Dr. Yoji Kondo -- is Connie Willis, whose work has hardly ever been set anywhere but Earth.

So...she's getting this award for "All My Darling Daughters" and Uncharted Territory? She's a fine writer, who has done some excellent work, but none of it in any way inspires the human exploration of space, or depicts it.

I have to admit that I'm thoroughly puzzled by that choice, and, in my cynical way, have to wonder what the panel is thinking, and what other writers they might possibly have considered and rejected.

(I also note that the Heinlein Award wasn't given to anyone at all last year, and that there are usually two winners each year -- I have no idea what that means, but I note it.)

[news via Locus Online, as if often the case]

No comments:

Post a Comment