Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Generally Hate This Kind of Thing

I really dislike chain letters, and their bloggy equivalents, and this is definitely one of them. But I also think the message outweighs the annoyance of the medium this one time:

Copy this sentence into your livejournal if you're in a heterosexual marriage, and you don't want it "protected" by the bigots who think that gay marriage hurts it somehow.

This isn't a LiveJournal, but I still agree. And people who talk about how the definition of marriage has always and forever been exactly the same really haven't been paying attention.

5 comments:

SWILUA said...

I don't even live in CA, but let me say I AM SO SICK OF PROP 8! It is never-never ending!

Yay for the election being next Tuesday! May the least crazies win.

Kate Lord Brown said...

Gosh and I thought it was going to be the '6 random things tag'. What is Prop 8? On principle more than happy to take a stand if the UK counts. Love, as they say, is where it falls.

Andrew Wheeler said...

Kat: Be thankful it's not all over your news -- though I gather there's another Russell Brand eruption on your side of the pond, which is probably worse.

Proposition 8 is on the ballot in California this year. Since state judges declared that same-sex couples had to be allowed to get married (earlier this year), there's been a big backlash from the usual suspects. And Prop 8, if passed, would nullify all existing same-sex marriages and forbid any new ones from being performed in the state of California.

Andrew Wheeler said...

Pushed "publish" too fast there -- I of course meant "Kate". Apologies for truncating your name.

Unknown said...

There's also the equally disgusting prop 102 in AZ-essentially, putting in a constitutional amendment to define marriage as 1 man and 1 woman.

Post a Comment