Sunday, April 20, 2008

Movie Log: Bee Movie

The point was to watch this as a "family movie night" over pizza Wednesday evening, but Thing 1 bailed out at the first sign of unpleasantness -- when the big, tough "Pollen Patrol" bees mildly intimidated Our Hero -- as he often does, so the family was reduced to three. But the three of us made it to the end of Bee Movie just fine.

It's a nice-looking kid's movie that has way too much message and a plot that follows its own logic to some weird places -- I appreciated the latter much more than the former. And the messages are so obvious and hackneyed that I have to take points off for that.

(I mean, "Being an individual is good"? "We must save the environment"? "There's a place for everyone"? Bleeeh.)

It's not embarrassing, like some kids movies I could name, but it's nothing special, and I don't expect I'll want to see it again. I sent it back to Netflix the next day, and neither of my boys have asked about it, so I don't think either of them want to see more of it -- not even to rewatch a favorite scene or poke through the extras on the DVD.

So, if you're looking for an adequate movie to entertain kids for about ninety minutes, and you don't mind heavy-handed vaguely left-wing messages, you could do worse than Bee Movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment