Saturday, July 28, 2007

Incoming Books, Week of 7/28

This is the week of difficult choices, since The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories by Connie Willis (in a nice review-able ARC from Subterranean) arrived on Wednesday and a little thing called Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows showed up on Thursday (complete with mailman noting its existence and requiring a signature).

On the one hand, I think I've already read all of the stories in Marble Arch at least once. (But it is Connie Willis.) On the other hand, half of the free world has already read Deathly Hallows, so I need to keep up. (But I'm not the world's biggest Rowling fan, and I expect to be disappointed by the ending.)

I suspect I'll finish Deathly first, but I'm reading them simultaneously. (Along with the usual pile of other things.)

And the new stuff in the "other things" category includes:
  • Loserpalooza, the new "Get Fuzzy" treasury by Darby Conley
  • Clubbing, one of the Minx launch titles, written by Andi Watson (whom, so far, I will follow anywhere)
  • Re-Gifters, another Minx book from the creative team behind the swell My Faith in Frankie
  • "Shenanigans," a graphic novel by two people I'm not familiar with, which tries to be a Billy Wilder comedy in comics form, and which also was half price
  • Screw Heaven, When I Die I'm Going to Mars, a big compendium of Shannon "Too Much Coffee Man" Wheeler's comics -- I've never read his stuff before, in part because I don't drink coffee, but with a last name like that, he has to be great
  • Spent by Joe Matt, of course
  • and the seventh volume of Powers, even though a quick glance shows that the first few pages take place entirely among monkeys
And that's probably what I'll be reading over the next week or two.

Update, several hours later: Well, I wrote that and headed out the door with the boys to the library...and found two packages with review copies on my doorstep. So I might be reading some other stuff as well in the next couple of weeks. (And if I start getting substantial numbers of review copies, I'll probably be too embarrassed to list them all, so "incoming books" may dwindle or disappear.)

No comments:

Post a Comment