Sunday, July 02, 2006

Are You Now and Have You Ever Been?

There's this long quiz percolating around LiveJournal -- I've seen it in a couple of places (most recently Nick Mamatas) -- so I figured, "hey, why not? It'll get me a quick entry without much thinking, and the quiz is oddly intrusive and wide-ranging."

1. Have you ever been searched by the cops?

No.

2. Do you close your eyes on roller coasters?
No. What would be the point of that?

3. When's the last time you've been sledding?
The last big snow -- probably sometime in February. I took Thing 1 and Thing 2 down the street to the big hill at the school and took a turn down it a time or two myself.

4. Would you rather sleep with someone else, or alone?
If we're talking actually sleep here, I've been married to the same woman for thirteen years now, and find it hard to get comfortable without her. On the other possible meaning, I'll have to plead the Fifth...

5. Do you believe in ghosts?
Exactly as much as I believe in phlogiston, the theory of humours, and the divine right of kings.

6. Do you consider yourself creative?
I'm not an "artist." And I have no patience for shoe salesmen or chain-store greeters who think that they do their jobs in a "creative" way. So no.

7. Do you think O.J. killed his wife?
If not him, then who? Of course he did. But that's not evidence in a court of law.

8. Jennifer Aniston or Angelina Jolie?
I don't think I've ever seen anything Jolie has ever been in, so I'd have to say Aniston. (Better the devil you know.)

9. Do you stay friends with your ex's?
I don't have any.

10. Do you know how to play poker?
I have played poker (the old-fashioned kind, not this trendy complicated "Texas" bullshit) a couple of times, but I don't know it well, and I'm no good at it.

11. Have you ever been awake for 48 hours straight?
Yes. Though not for a decade or more. It's the kind of thing that doesn't seem as important once you hit 30.

12. What's your favorite commercial?
I understand all of those words, but they don't make sense in that order.

13. What are you allergic to?
Nothing, physically. Perhaps social interaction.

14. If you're driving in the middle of the night, and no one is around do you run red lights?
I've only been driving for about five years (since my second son was born), so I haven't done a lot of driving in the middle of the night. So far I've only run red lights by accident.

15. Do you have a secret that no one knows but you?
I probably have a thousand, but I don't think I have one big one.

16. Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees?
Well, as a Mets fan (and as a Mets fan forged in the crucible of 1986), that's a tough question -- I hate them both. But if they were playing each other, I think I'd be rooting for the Bosox.

17. Have you ever been Ice Skating?
I took Thing 1 to an ice rink last year for a birthday party, and watched him go around in circles. That's as close as I've come. (When I was a teenager, the lake in the middle of the town I lived in used to freeze solid in winter, and I'd regularly walk across it -- I doubt that counts.)

18. How often do you remember your dreams?
I used to remember them all of the time, but I don't very often recently. Waking up to an alarm scatters them.

19. When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
Can't remember. I'm more of the smirky smile type.

20. Can you name 5 songs by The Beatles?
"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Her Majesty"
"Yer Blues"
"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"

21. What's the one thing on your mind now?
That I should round up some breakfast for the boys.

22. Do you know who Ghetto-ass barbie is?
No. I don't care, either. I'm actually most interested if the small-b in "barbie" is a typo or deliberate.

23. Do you always wear your seat belt?
Yes.

24. What cell service do you use?
T-Mobile pre-paid. I've had it for two and a half years and I doubt if I've spent a hundred bucks (the phone was free).

25. Do you like Sushi?
Never had it.

26. Have you ever narrowly avoided a fatal accident?
Probably, though I don't recall any at the moment.

27. What do you wear to bed?
Underwear.

28. Been caught stealing?
Yes, when I was about fourteen. Went to community-intervention-in-lieu-of-court and everything.

29. what shoe size do you have?
13 wide.

30. Do you truly hate anyone?
There was one guy in high school who I absolutely loathed, for probably insufficient reasons, and one guy in college I would have been happy to see dead (for completely frivolous reasons). No one since I've been a functioning adult, though.

31. Classic Rock or Rap?
Classic Rock, I guess. I used to listen to it a lot, and still like various bits of it.

32. If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be?
Kristin Davis, I guess. It's not a question I think about a lot.

33. Favorite Song?
"Shoot Out the Lights" by Richard and Linda Thompson. (Or maybe Aimee Mann's "It's Not")

34. Have you sung in front of the mirror?
Not in living memory.

35. What food do you find disgusting?
Live monkey brains is way up there.

36. Do you sing in the shower?
Once in a while, yes.

37. Did you ever play, "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours"?
I have no idea. It's not a game I'm fond of these days.

38. Have you ever made fun of your friends behind their back?
What are these "friends" you speak of?

39. Have you ever stood up for someone you hardly knew?
Not that I can remember, though it's not impossible.

40. Have you ever been punched in the face?
I don't think so -- I'd remember that.

OK, now that I've done something everyone in my old Vassar dorm probably did four months ago, and I feel officially old, let's go do something constructive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laugh till I cried -- many years ago, and jet lag was no doubt a factor. I was in Germany to give a talk to the German user's group for my company's software, and had the added duty of meeting with some of our bigger customers. We were discussing how to deal with one of the most difficult ones, when out of the blue came the warning "Whatever you do, don't mention the war!"

Post a Comment