Friday, April 28, 2006

Incoming Comics: 4/28

A really big haul this time, so either this was a five-Wednesday month or everything I like just came in at once. [checks calendar] Well, it's not the former.
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1959 to 1960 by Charles Schulz
    These just can't come out fast enough for me.
  • Little Star by Andi Watson
  • Ex Machina Vol. 3: Fact v. Fiction by Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris, and others
  • Hellboy: Strange Places by Mike Mignola
  • Queen & County: Declassified Vol. 2 by Greg Rucka & Rick Burchett
  • Queen & Country: Declassified Vol. 3 by Greg Rucka and Christopher Mitten
    If one of these has several pages of untranslated foreign dialogue (see earlier post on the last TP collecting the regular Queen & Country series), I may just be out of here.
  • She-Hulk Vol. 2: Superhuman Law by Dan Slott and various artists
    Just finished Volume 1 last night, and ready for more. I think the only underwear perverts I can stand now are the funny ones. (Hey, DC! How about an Ambush Bug collection?)
  • Ghost of Hoppers by Jaime Hernandez
  • Runaway Comics #1 by Mark Martin
    It's been way too long since I've seen anything by Martin; I'm looking forward to reading this one.
  • Keif Llama: Xenotech #6 by Matt Howarth
  • Sonic X #7 by somebody-or-other
    And now we enter the For-Thing-1 portion of the list.
  • Teen Titans Go! #30 by J. Torres and various artists
    This is the one comic that Thing 1 and I both read, though this issue didn't thrill me; it had two short stories that were both mostly fight scenes and, consequently, boring.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog #161 by whoever
    Thing 1 loves it. He's been telling me incomprehensible things about it since I gave it to him.
  • Justice League Unlimited Vol. 2 by various
    And the next grouping are little trade paperbacks, which Thing 1 will get as treats or for something to do on long car rides.
  • Justice League Unlimited Vol. 3 by various
  • Kingdom Hearts Vol. 1 by someone
    This one he got today, since he had a good day at school, and because he's been chattering incessantly about the game (which we couldn't even get, since we have a GameCube and it's only for the PS2) for the last week or two.
  • and two volumes of collected comics (Gorilla Gorilla and Lilo & Stitch) from Disney Adventures Magazine, by various people
    Yet more stuff Thing 1 will get on good days.
I think I spent more on comics in one day today than any time since I used to go to comics shows in the late '80s. (And then I'd usually come away with over a hundred issues of various things.)

And I guess this is as good a place as any to kvetch: this year, in a masterpiece of bad timing, the Nebula Awards fall on Free Comic Book Day. Last year, the boys and I made our way to the Joker's Child, a nice store in Fair Lawn, and they were just thrilled to death at the idea of a day you could get free comic books. I was seriously looking forward to doing the same again this year, but I'll be in Tempe instead, hobnobbing with a bunch of skiffy folks (which is swell, of course, but not the way I expected to spend Free Comic Book Day.) Next year, I expect SFWA and the Free Comics people to coordinate better, or else. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment