Friday, April 28, 2006

The Fantasy Novelist's Exam

I'm sure I've seen this before, but I don't think I've linked to it yet. If any of you out there are in the middle of writing a fantasy novel, or even thinking of doing so, you need to take this test.

Some of my favorite questions:
23. Does everybody under four feet tall exist solely for comic relief?
24. Do you think that the only two uses for ships are fishing and piracy?
47. Do you think you know how feudalism worked but really don't?
52. Do you ever use the term "plate mail" in your novel?
53. Heaven help you, do you ever use the term "hit points" in your novel?
67. Do you think that "mead" is just a fancy name for "beer"?
74. Is your book basically a rip-off of The Lord of the Rings?
75. Read that question again and answer truthfully.

It might make my professional life more difficult if more writers would take this test and follow it faithfully, but life would be much more enjoyable...

No comments:

Post a Comment