Friday, March 24, 2006

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I'm being too serious this morning, so, to lighten up, let me tell you about how weird Thing 2 is:

A couple of nights ago, Thing 1 and I were building a Lego thing-a-ma-jig on the kitchen table, and Thing 2 was...well, he wasn't really helping, or even trying to help. But he was there, and he was participating, more or less.

I guess watching two people build a Lego ship isn't particularly exciting, especially when you are an exceptionally antsy five-year-old. So Thing 2 started rummaging through the drawer under the table, throwing markers and crayons around, and looking for junk to amuse himself with. He eventually found the perfect combination: scotch tape and safety scissors. He was putting the tape all over the place, and finally decided the best thing to do was tape his mouth shut, which he did several times, for no reason he explained.

And then he started talking about The Scissors of Pain and Darkness. Yes, those little red-handled blunt-tipped scissors were quite ominous. Thing 1 picked up on it as well, and they had a friendly discussion about the proper name for the larger, pointy scissors that they also found. (I believe they eventually settled on The Mega-Scissors of Pain and Darkness.)

I don't know where they get it, but I'm sure I'm responsible, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment